Staying at Back of Beyond
Exclusively for adults
To stay at Back of Beyond or to visit, you must be aged 18 or over. There are no exceptions to this rule.
Natural environment with dark sky
Being a natural environment, our park is a wonderful place to enjoy wildlife and to look up into a clear night sky to watch the stars. This means it can get very dark at night and it’s a good idea to bring a torch for getting around after dusk. Although we do our best to keep paths and tracks clear, natural surfaces can be uneven.
Arrivals and departures
- Arrival times for touring and camping: 12pm to 7pm
- Arrival times for glamping: 2pm to 7pm
- Please try to arrive before Reception closes (see opening times below).
- Please check in on arrival – we need to know the exact number of people onsite
- Check out time is 11am
- Late arrivals and departures for touring and camping pitches may be possible by prior arrangement, subject to availability and for an additional charge – see charges on the Prices and Booking page.
We operate a secure barrier system at the park entrance. Please make sure you have a £10 cash deposit on arrival for the barrier card which gives you 24 hour access to the park.
Visitors must be over 18 and signed in at Reception. There’s a nominal charge for those staying over two hours. We may have to limit visitors at busy times, but please ask our staff as we’ll always try to accommodate you. Day visitor charges are on the Prices and Booking page.
Peace and privacy
- We do not accept large groups or guests likely to compromise the peacefulness of our park. The maximum number of guests occupying a pitch is 4. The maximum number of guests in a glamping unit is 2.
- Guests value the peacefulness of the park and we do ask for quiet between 10pm and 8am. (But we make an exception for the birds, who are especially busy from April to June!)
- Aerial drones are not allowed to be flown from, or over, Back of Beyond.
Reception and shop
Opening hours: 9am to 5pm or 8.30am to 6pm in High Season
We stock local produce where possible and we’re licensed to sell alcohol. Call in at the Reception Shop for:
- Basic provisions such as tea, coffee, juice, bacon, eggs, milk, bread, etc.
- A great selection of beers, ales, wines and local gin
- Self-service coffee machine
- Tea and treats, including our own Back of Beyond biscuits, cake, chocolate and sweets all made locally
- Back of Beyond honey from our onsite beehives
- Meat from Webb’s, an award winning local butcher
- Local bakers’ products
- Calor Gas – official stockist with a comprehensive range
- Camping and caravan basics
- Purbeck ice cream for humans and Billy & Margot’s nutritious ice cream for dogs!
- Newspapers to order (High Season only)
Pick up delicious freshly baked croissants, pain au chocolat, pain au raisin, and baguettes for breakfast if pre-ordered the day before.
There’s free Wifi around the Reception area, with a booster at the amenities block. The signal is therefore variable around the park.
Outside Reception you can sit around our fish pond. It’s a great place to relax and make use of the free Wifi while enjoying a coffee or an ice cream.
In the summer months, local breweries and distilleries occasionally hold tasting sessions here and a mobile bar visits regularly.
Our facilities are open 24 hours a day and are well-lit at night. We have an extensive cleaning regime to maintain the highest standards of cleanliness. In and around the amenities block there are:
- Four heated, recently refurbished toilet and shower blocks with power-showers, ladies strip-wash cubicle, hand-dryers and hairdryers
- Disabled suite with ramp access
- Indoor and outdoor washing up areas
- Warm water dog wash
- Laundry room
- Freezers for ice packs
- Grey water and toilet disposal points
Electric charging station
A secure charging locker is located in the middle of the amenities block. It has two 3-pin sockets and two USB sockets – use it to charge phones, tablets and small laptops. The cost is 50p for 15 minutes.
Information hut / library
For leaflets on local attractions and events, as well as our small DVD and book library, please see the Information Hut near the entrance.
Fire pits and barbecues
Whether you hire one from Reception or bring your own, please make sure you understand the safety requirements outlined on the Fire Pits and Barbecues page.
Pubs, supermarkets and more close to Back of Beyond
A short walk away
- The Woodman – a Marston’s pub and restaurant, near the entrance to our lane
- East Moors Riding School – woodland trekking or private hacks in the vast Westmoors Plantation, located on our approach lane
- Shamba Holidays – family holiday park on our lane where you’re welcome to use the clubhouse with games room, bar and takeaway, as well as the swimming pool (for a small fee)
A longer walk away
- The St Leonards Hotel – a 20-30 minute walk away on the A31
- Avon Heath Country Park – approximately 40 minutes walk along back lanes
Local towns and supermarkets
- Ringwood, a New Forest market town (10 minutes drive), has a Waitrose, a Sainsbury’s and a large Lidl.
- Ferndown (10 minutes drive) has a large Tesco a Sainsbury’s superstore, and a Lidl.
- Wimborne Minster, a historic Dorset market town (20 minutes drive) has a large Waitrose and Co-0p
There’s a limited bus service to Ringwood from the bottom of our lane. Our local bus runs hourly from about 9.15am until 5.15pm see timetable. (Our stop is Boundary Lane NE-bound, just after St Leonards Hospital). From Ringwood, you can get busses to Bournemouth and Salisbury, or in summer catch the New Forest Tour open-top safari bus. Many guests find it convenient to get a taxi back – we can give you a number in Reception or there’s a taxi rank in the main car park in Ringwood.
For emergencies, we can be contacted out of hours on the Warden’s phone – 07842 167449.